We welcome and encourage contributions to Interaction Design and Children (IDC) 2020 conference, held on June 21-24. IDC is the premiere international conference for researchers, educators and practitioners to share the latest research findings, innovative methodologies and new technologies in the areas of inclusive child-centered design, learning and interaction.
IDC 2020 will be held in the heart of London, UK in Bloomsbury.
Theme and General topics
The theme for ACM IDC 2020 is “Designing for the Future”. How might children move from consumers to engaged and critical users of technology? How will they drive design agendas? What are the key considerations when designing for our children’s future digital experiences? We invite critiques of children’s technology, research that involves children in shaping the future of technology, methods on how to design for the future, and empirical research that offers new ways of thinking about children’s interaction and learning. While all submissions related to Interaction Design and Children (IDC) are welcome to the conference (see the list of tracks and general topics below), the theme for the conference is an opportunity for the IDC community to take a reflective and generative outlook on children’s technology.
Submissions to all tracks are invited on the following topics:
- Designing the future of technology for and with children
- Designing for Sustainability (Environmental, Institutional, Developmental etc)
- Innovative interactive technology for children including VR/AR and its implications for children
- Theoretically motivated arguments regarding interaction design and children
- Empirical studies concerned with the interaction of children and technology
- Methods and techniques supporting interaction design for/with children
- Studies of the effects of technology on children’s lives and development
- Reflective analyses on the field of child computer interaction and interaction design
- Constructive design research for and with children
- Studies discussing the involvement of children in the design process
- Ethics in approaching children-computer interaction research
- Future vision articles, discussing trends and directions for the field
IDC 2020 welcomes submissions in the form of full papers, short papers (notes), demonstrations & art installations, workshops, courses, and works-in-progress (late breaking work). There is also a call for participants to submit to the doctoral consortium and the research and design competition. Full papers, short papers, and Work in Progress published at IDC 2020 are ACM archival publications and will be made available through the ACM in the Digital Library (http://dl.acm.org). All submissions represent significant contributions to the field of HCI and interaction design for and with children. The IDC proceedings are in a public version of the Digital Library for one month starting on the first day of the conference.
Key submission dates
- Full Papers and Short Papers (Notes)
- Submission for Abstract: 13 January 2020
- Submission for full contribution: 20 January 2020
- Work in Progress: 6 April 2020
- Demos and Art Installations: 6 April 2020
- Research & Design Competition:
- Child input for challenges: 9 Dec 2019
- R & D Competition: 9 March 2020
- Doctoral Consortium: 30 March 2020
- Workshops and Courses:
- Workshop proposal submission deadline: 3 February 2020
- Course proposal submission deadline: 2 March, 2020