Papers varying in scope of their contribution are accepted for presentation at IDC. All papers should:
1) Report original work not previously published elsewhere;
2) Address any of the areas listed in the conference topics (see the Call for Papers with more information about the conference topics);
3) Clearly state the contribution(s) in the paper and the abstract.
Contributions making one clear, significant contribution to IDC topics, are more likely to be accepted than those making several lesser contributions. Submissions must identify and cite relevant published work and explain how the paper furthers research within the field of Interaction Design and Children.
- Full Papers are expected to be 8-10 pages
- Short Papers (sometimes referred to as Notes) are expected to be 4-6 pages.
- The page limit does not include acknowledgements (< 150 words), the required section ‘Selection and Participation of Children’ (< 150 words, see below), nor the references.
We encourage authors to select the appropriate length of paper based on the scope of the contribution of their research. Short papers generally have a smaller scope and/or contribution, but should not be viewed as inferior to full papers. While short papers should situate the work that is presented within relevant related literature, the literature review is likely to not be as broad or as in-depth as that of a full paper.
All accepted Full & Short Papers will be included in the conference proceedings published in the ACM Digital Library. Submissions for review should be anonymized and should adhere to the Anonymization Policy. Once accepted for publication, submissions will go through a light second review process. Publication of the paper is dependent on there being at least one author of the paper registered and participated in the conference.
- Submission for Abstract: 13 January 2020 – 8pm (GMT)
- Submission for full contribution:
20 January 2020Friday 24th January 23:59 PST
- Notification: 23 March 2020
- Camera Ready: 13 April 2020 23:59 PST
- Early Registration (required for authors): 30 April 2020
- All submissions should use the ACM SIGCHI Paper Format
- Indicate the kind of paper you are submitting:
- Full Papers are expected to be 8-10 pages (excluding references)
- Short Papers are expected to be 4-6 pages (excluding references)
- Submit via Precision Conference
- Optional: Supporting files, such as videos or source code, may be included. You may submit a link to a video hosted on a service like Vimeo or YouTube. This video must be anonymous and no longer than 5 minutes in length. Please also note that your paper must be a complete, stand-alone submission that makes sense without the video.
Special Note on Ethics and Children
Designing with and for children comes with challenges and responsibilities. The IDC community is keen to include children voices as well as to protect their rights and promote the ethical inclusion of their perspectives in research. Papers must include a section “Selection and Participation of Children” in which the authors of the paper should describe how children were selected (if there were no children simply write – no children participated in this work), what consent processes were followed (i.e. did they consent and if so what they were told), how they were treated, how data sharing was communicated, and especially any additional ethical considerations. This subsection should not exceed 125 words and will not count towards the page limit. NOTE: even if this detail is elsewhere in the paper, we still want to see this paragraph. You should place this section before the references. Examples can be seen in IDC 2019 and IDC 2018 proceedings.