In the first phase of the 2020 ACM Interaction Design and Children (IDC) Research & Design competition, children all over the world were invited to submit their ideas for technologies that address some of the problems our planet faces today: e.g. climate change, the loss of animal and plant species, inequality between people. We received an amazing range of ideas that are now the basis for the second stage of the competition. We have created a collection of the ideas here in our booklet–have a look!
In this second phase, we invite researchers and designers to submit a design concept (not actual artefacts) that responds to the same brief and builds on one or more of the ideas of children. Each submission should have the form of a 2-4 page summary (not including references nor acknowledgements) in CHI Extended Abstract format for the adult judges (the track chairs and expert reviewers), accompanied by a short, 1-minute video (uploaded to a publicly accessible website) that presents the concept to our child judges (think CHI madness made for kids). You can also submit any supplementary material (e.g., drawings, sketches, photos) to explain your concept.
The submissions will be judged by the children who submitted their ideas on the basis of the videos, and by the adult jury, who will consider the paper and all other material. The criteria for selecting the best submissions are:
- responds to the brief in innovative ways
- incorporates ideas and triggers from children, and explicitly acknowledges those ideas
- speculates about the future in interesting ways
- raises (research) questions for the field
- is well-designed and presented
- Child input for challenges open until 9 Dec 2019 extended to 16 Dec 2019
- R & D Competition (for adults) starts
6 Jan 2020extended to 13 January 2020
- R & D Competition open until
9 March 2020extended to 16 March 2020
- Notifications to competition winners by
13 April 2020 extended to 16 April 2020
- Camera-ready deadline on 4 May 2020.
- Presentation at the conference 22 – 24 June 2020.