IDC promotes an ethical engagement of children in research activities and asks to include a short paragraph about “Selection and Participation of Children” (see the CFP). While you are preparing the paragraph we would encourage you to look at the following questions that might help to frame it:
- How were children involved and selected to participate in the research? How were diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) concerns addressed, if relevant? if there were no children simply write: no children participated in this work.
- What benefits were there, if any, to the participants and their broader communities of being involved in this research? What procedures are in place for follow-up after the study, if any? Will the participants and/or community be informed of the results of this research?
- What data did you collect, observe, generate or reuse? How were these collected, observed or generated? How were security, privacy and confidentiality assured?
- Describe how you requested the necessary permission to obtain, process, preserve and share the data, including how you ascertained that caregivers, parents, children or others providing consent/ascent understood what they were providing permission for?
- How were other ethical issues, if any, addressed (proactively, retrospectively) in this research?
IDC is also committed to lowering barriers to access the resources and contributions published at the conference. In this perspective, we invite authors of any track to follow the SIGCHI accessibility instructions.
Moreover, the IDC community advocates for an environment based on diversity, inclusion and equity values starting from promoting the use of an inclusive language. We would like to encourage authors of any track to respect the SIGCHI guidelines for gender equity and inclusivity.
For what concerns inclusive language and accessibility we recommend sticking to the instructions provided by the SIGCHI Accessible Writing Guide.
Adherence to the ethics and accessibility guidelines is a mandatory requirement for getting the paper published, while we also highly encourage authors to consider and go by the SIGCHI instructions for inclusion in their contributions.